Thursday, January 19, 2012

LET'S PLAY BIRDIE TIC-TAC-TOE

I had a fun day today playing a new game with Louie..... Birdie Tic-Tac-Toe and he won!
                      

Last Sunday while attending the local bird show, I was lucky and found Higgins Parrot food for $1.50 a pound. The price was good but I felt luckiest because I could scoop out all the goodies my big girl Congo African Grey, Lacie loves. She so loves their Cheerios in it. When I buy the regular packages there are only a few in them and I have to dig though it to find them. Louie decided to help me and challenged me to play a game of Birdie Tic-Tac-Toe with the fun shaped pellets. I think he was a ringer, with that look in his eye, don't you?

We had lots of fun collecting the dozens of little orange Cheerios for our "Big Girl". I'm hoping they will someday sell them by the bag as pellets. Now I sprinkle them on top of her food or as treats. She also likes the tan banana shapes but not so much the red X's. Go figure!!

Don't worry this isn't the whole seed mix she gets. Lacie gets Higgins Sun Burst mix filled with dried fruit, nuts, mixed seeds and pellets. To it I add another dried fruit mix and other goodies! See pics. Then three times or more a day they all get fresh fruits, veggies, oatmeal, Dr. Beex birdie bread and lots of other people food.


Sun Burst, Fruit mix, Pellets.             Lacie's finished mix.                 Eenie meenie miney mo

Let me know any fun food ideas you have tried with your fids and if they worked! I'm always searching for and trying new tricks because Louie and Libby, my Indian Ringnecks are picky eaters! Plus my Lacie didn't eat people food for her first 10 years, so now I'm opening up a whole new world of colors, textures and tastes. So far so good, she loves most of them... especially if I spoon or hand feed them to her!!! They certainly teach us well.

2 comments:

Bird Mama said...

Of course Louie won! The cutest one always wins!

Anonymous said...

I just tried higgins worldly cuisnes this week. Finally something my cockatiel with eat that isn't straight seeds! (besides bird bread I make). She LOVES this and will even eat fresh veggies if I chop them into the cooked mix. I always mix her pellets into bird bread and now she'll eat them in this mix, too. She hasn't had the seed mix since I started this! Now they can be for treats!